Monday, January 4, 2010

...le sigh...

today I write b/c I have to get some of this crap out of my head. had an appointment with my MS doc. found out I currently have 3 active lesions. she wants to switch my meds or add something to my current injections. here's my options and believe me, they are the lesser of 2 evils at this point.

for those of you who aren't familiar, MS medications are all injections, at least up until this point. the one I take is a man-made polymer called Copaxone. it's side affects (I call them severely irritating) include injection site reactions, which are swelling and severe itching. even better, I do these daily. lucky me. it's like I have 7 mosquito bites on my body at any given point in time.

so, what the doc proposes is to add 250mg of Prendezone (steroids) to my repertoire for 5 days a week, once a month. the other option is to switch to a new medication, also sub-cutaneous injection, called a beta-seron (that's the formula, not the drug name). the side affects of these include flu-like symptoms (chills, body aches, hot flashes) and I would have to have my blood drawn once a month to monitor my thyroid and liver enzymes.

these are my choices right now. see what I mean by the lesser of 2 evils? just when you think life can't get more complicated, you get thrown a curve ball that shows you otherwise.

I'm trying desperately to pull myself out of my pity party. so far, I'm the only attendee and it's very lonely. I have been feeling very hopeless and powerless since my appointment.

tomorrow is a new day and, hopefully, a sunnier outlook...
L

No comments:

Post a Comment